Our Top 20 Recommendations for Dog Food
Two of the most common questions we get here at Your Pet Hates You are, “what is in dog food?” and, “is dog food good for dogs?” And the truth is that far too many people just don’t know the answer to either question!
So today we thought we’d dedicate some time (and some serious research) to a bit of dog food analysis. After all, your pet’s diet and nutrition are just as important as your own, right? Eating unhealthy food every day takes it’s toll on a dog in exactly the same way as it does your own body.
Recently, a growing awareness of the poor quality of many dog food brands has caused many loving pet owners to consider making homemade dog food. But is this a healthier path than buying ready made dog food?
The truth is that, as long as you choose an ethical company which uses healthy dog food recipes, your dog is much more likely to get the nutritional value it needs from store-bought dog food than from make your own dog food.
Here at YourPetHatesYou, we want the very best for your dogs as well as our own, so we’ve spent hours researching dog nutrition, essential dog food ingredients, dog food brands, expert opinions and customers’ dog food reviews and put together this helpful chart so that you can compare dry dog food brands and make a well informed decision that’s best for you and for your dog.
We’ve carefully selected twenty products which we would be happy to feed our own dogs and rejected dog food companies with unethical practices or food with poor nutritional value.
While we are recommending these dog food brands, it is important to be aware that your dog may have dietary requirements or allergies which you are not aware of. For example, a dog food type that is recommended by veterinarians and has received thousands of positive independent dog food reviews from buyers may produce stomach upsets or other effects in some dogs. Be prepared to try out more than one food until you get the right fit for your dog.
Okay, that’s enough barking and howling on for now, let’s take a closer look at the quality of dog food brands:
Up-to-date pricing and reviews for Dog Food on the market
- Contains One (1) 20.4 Lb. Bag Of Pedigree Complete Nutrition Adult Dry Dog Food Grilled Steak & Vegetable Flavor
- Complete And Balanced Nutrition Provides Optimal Levels Of Omega-6 Fatty Acid To Nourish Skin, And Help Keep Your Dogs Coat Shiny And Healthy
- Pedigree Food For Dogs Features A Delicious Grilled Steak Flavor That Provides Antioxidants, Vitamins, And Minerals To Help Maintain A Healthy Lifestyle
- This Adult Dog Food Features Whole Grains And A Special Fiber Blend To Support Healthy Digestion
- Proudly Made In The Usa With The World'S Finest Ingredients, No High Fructose Corn Syrup, No Artificial Flavors, And No Added Sugar
- 31.1 Lb. Bag - Purina One Smartblend Natural Chicken & Rice Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
- Real Chicken Is The #1 Ingredient
- Dual-Defense Antioxidant Blend To Help Support A Strong Immune System
- Natural Sources Of Glucosamine Help To Support Healthy Joints
- Protein-Rich, Tender, Meaty Morsels And Crunchy Kibble For A Taste Dogs Love
- U.S. Farm-Raised Beef is the #1 Ingredient
- Natural Prebiotics Help Support Healthy Digestion
- No Artificial Flavors or Artificial Preservatives
- No poultry by-product meal, filler, wheat, or wheat gluten ingredients
- Natural dog food with added vitamins & minerals
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles. Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit.
- SMALL BREED DOG FOOD: Specially formulated for the wellness of adult small breed dogs, BLUE Life Protection Formula Small Breed dry dog food contains increased levels of protein and carbohydrates
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 15 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
- 15.5 Lb. Bag - Purina Beneful Originals With Real Beef Adult Dry Dog Food
- Real Farm-Raised Beef Is The #1 Ingredient
- Accents Of Real Spinach, Peas And Carrots Add Variety To His Diet
- Antioxidant-Rich Nutrition To Help Support A Healthy Immune System
- Proudly Produced In Purina-Owned U.S. Facilities To Ensure Safe, Quality Food
- Contains one (1) 24 count case of 3.5 oz. trays of CESAR Wet Dog Food Poultry Variety Pack: (6) Duck Recipe, (6) Grilled Chicken Flavor, (6) Oven Roasted, Chicken Flavor, (6) Turkey Recipe
- Crafted without grains and with US Chicken, US Turkey or Duck as the #1 ingredient
- CESAR Wet Dog Food is complete and balanced and fortified with vitamins and minerals to help dogs of all sizes, especially small breeds, stay healthy
- Made in the USA with the world's finests ingredients, Cesar makes a great meal on its own or as a dog food topper mixed with dry food
- This gourmet dog food is served in convenient trays with easy, peel-away freshness seals
- 35 Lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Blend Beef & Rice Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
- Made With High-Quality Protein, Including Real Beef As The First Ingredient
- Contains Rice As An Easily Digestible Source Of Carbohydrates
- Guaranteed Live Probiotics To Support Digestive Health
- Vitamin A And Linoleic Acid, An Omega-6 Fatty Acid, Help Support Healthy Skin And Coat
- Trial Size 6.5 oz same grain-free formula as the original Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl, but in smaller pieces
- Uses only granulated ingredients, making it an especially good choice for small and toy dogs, picky eaters, dogs with sensitive tummies, or older dogs who may need a softer food
- Aids in Weight Loss by providing a lower calorie, highly nutritious base for a home-cooked meal; eliminates digestive issues such as Chronic Diarrhea, Vomiting, Constipation, Loose Stools, and Gas
- All-Natural formula has been shown to treat and eliminate allergies, including itching, skin redness, and rashes
- High in calcium and other minerals; grain-free, non-GMO certified and made in the USA; holistic formula with no synthetic ingredients, no chemicals, no preservatives, no dyes
- Contains 1 - 16-Pound Bag
- High-Quality Protein Helps Support Strong Muscles
- Mini-Sized Pieces For Easy Chewing; Big Taste Of Kibbles 'N Bits Original
- 100% Complete And Balanced Nutrition For All Life Stages; Savory Beef & Chicken Flavors
- Made In The Usa
- A taste of the wild with ROASTED BISON; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, protein rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; made with NO GRAIN, corn, wheat, filler; no artificial flavors, colors, preservatives
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with guaranteed species-specific, PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract
- MADE in the USA; FAMILY OWNED & run; food made with the most scientifically advanced food safety protocols; We'd appreciate your CALL 800.342.4808
Summary: Making Dog Food vs. Buying Dog Food
While there are some very good healthy homemade dog food recipes available, it can be hard to know whether you are giving your dog a complete and nutritious diet when you make home made dog food. It can also work out to be incredibly expensive and time consuming!
You’re far better off to buy food from trusted dog food manufacturers who have scientifically developed recipes, high quality nutritious ingredients and ethical practices. And, of course, a quality dog food brand should show that they understand dogs and have dogs’ best interests at heart! (Not just lining their own pockets!).
We hope that this dog food ingredients comparison has been useful for you and that you find the very best food for your “best friend”.